Precautions you can take to prevent common insurance claim events.
As a business owner, you want to do everything in your power to protect your company. While having the right insurance protection helps, you probably don’t want to access your coverage unless absolutely necessary. Here are some of the things you can do to avoid some of the most common types of commercial insurance claims.
Burglary and Theft
- Install a security system– By installing burglar alarms and surveillance cameras and publicizing these security measures, you can reduce the chances of your business being targeted for theft.
- Illuminate your business– Burglars prefer to work under the cover of darkness. By installing bright lights outside of your business, you can deter all but the boldest thieves.
- Encourage anonymous reporting– Oftentimes, businesses are robbed by their own employees. By encouraging staff members to keep an eye out for suspicious behavior and setting up a system for anonymous reporting, you can catch and fire employees who are defrauding your company.
- Install fire mitigation measures– Installing connected smoke alarms and a central sprinkler system can alert you to fire risks and keep fire damage to a minimum.
- Have fire extinguishers throughout the premises– You should keep fire extinguishers within easy reach so employees can quickly respond to a fire as soon as one breaks out.
- Educate staff– If your company uses equipment or handles processes involving fire, then you should ensure that all staff members receive intensive safety training. When your staff knows how to safely operate equipment and mitigate fire risks, you can prevent a major fire incident at your place of business.
Wind and Hail Damage
- Trim trees– During a major storm event, wind can knock down trees, which can then cause damage to your company’s property. If a storm is headed your way, trim the trees surrounding your business’s property to reduce the chances of them causing damage.
- Bring in outdoor furniture– If your company keeps furniture (patio tables, chairs, and umbrellas) outside, then bring these in before a storm hits. This will prevent furniture from getting thrown against your business’s exterior in windy conditions.
Take these precautions to avoid some of the most common business insurance claims. Want to make sure you have the comprehensive commercial coverage that your business needs? If so, then contact the experts at Patterson & Associates in Richardson, Texas. Our dedicated team is eager to assist you with all your business insurance needs today.