08 Nov 2018
These Household Appliances Could Start a Fire

Watch out; these common household items could set your home ablaze.

As a homeowner, one of the most serious risks you face is the threat of a house fire. This is why many individuals are particularly careful to reduce their fire risk. For instance, they test their smoke alarms, keep fire extinguishers within reach, and avoid lighting candles. However, what homeowners often forget is that their everyday household appliances can also set off a fire if they are not careful. Here are some of the appliances that pose the greatest fire risks.

  • Dishwashers

While most people don’t think of their dishwashers as fire risks, this appliance actually causes more household fires than any other. This is because dishwaters use pretty extreme heating elements to get the water hot enough to disinfect the dishes inside it. If your dishwasher is outdated or faulty, it can easily spark a fire.

  • Microwaves

As with dishwashers, microwaves can cause fires if the technology is outdated. However, fires are more commonly started by negligence and improper use. For instance, if you fail to clean out your microwave, the remnants of food inside could catch fire the next time you try to warm something up. Additionally, attempting to microwave things such as plastic and metal can also result in a fire breaking out.

  • Dryers

Finally, dryers are another common cause of household fires. Fires normally occur due to improper maintenance on the homeowners part. Failing to thoroughly clean out your dryer’s lint trap, tubing, and vents makes it easy for the heat of the dryer to set accumulated dust and lint ablaze.

These are some of the common household appliances that can increase your home’s risk for fire. Want to protect your home against fire and the other threats that it faces? Make sure you have the right homeowners insurance protections in place. For assistance with all your home’s coverage needs, contact the experts at Patterson & Associates in Richardson, Texas today.

Post a comment